Posts by AHChris

I do this mainly by ear and I'm not sure of the logic behind setting the clean sense based on gain. As I understood it, clean sense is more of a way to set the level of your clean profiles to the same level as your distorted ones.

In that respect, I try and set clean sense at a point where the level of the clean sounds is perceived to be as loud as the distorted sounds. I suppose you could use an RMS meter. But I wouldn't raise and lower the gain, since this might not be the same level of gain on my other clean profiles. I'd be looking to set it at the levels where they already are, not how loud they might go.

Again, I'm not too sure whether a clean profile with the gain turned up can be considered equivalent to a distorted profile, given that in the profiling process, there is a specific procedure for profiling clean and distorted sounds. Perhaps the more appropriate approach would be changing between a clean and distorted profile to set the clean sense level, in that regard.

Mr. Kemper stated this: "Clean Sense is to balance between clean and distorted settings of the same profile, as well as between different clean and different distorted rigs."

I guess if you turn down the gain completely, all profiles are equally clean. So this should work for every profile. I got great results with the RMS metering of my RME card, but I agree... trust your ears ;)

Hey guys,

since there are still a lot of "Setting Clean Sense" threads popping up, I thought I could share my approach to set it. I think the "official" way of strumming very hard and looking at the input LED works, but I get that it leaves people in doubt if they have really set it correctly.

Here's how I do it:

1. Connect your KPA to your DAW

2. load a good RMS meter (peak metering won't help you, because the clean sounds are too dynamic)

3. Load any rig that you like and set the gain to the maximum value

4. Strum hard and memorize the value on the RMS meter

5. Turn the gain all the way down. Strum hard and set Clean Sense in a way that the RMS meter reads the same value.

You can also do the balancing by ear, but the RMS meter is probably the better choice.

Clean Sense (as ck stated) "takes care about the loudness of clean sounds while not altering distorted sounds"

So to set it right you should set it in a way, that the clean sounds are exactly as loud as the distorted sounds. You could do this by using two different rigs (one clean and one distorted) but turning the gain knob makes more sense to me.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to share my method of backing up my Rigs and syncing it between my two Macs.

Symbolic link is the magic phrase here. I use them a lot to backup and sync my Pro Tools settings and presets. Basically this is a method to sync files to Dropbox, which are not actually inside the Dropbox folder.

I do it with a simple automator file, but you can also do this with the terminal. This is also possible with windows, but I don't know exactly how.

Here's a little guide:

1. Download the Junecloud Automator Actions here: http://junecloud.com/software/mac/j…or-actions.html

2. Import the "Create Symbolic Link" action into Automator

3. MOVE (not copy) the RigManager library (Macintosh HD/User/User Name/Library/Application Support/Kemper Amps) into a Folder "Kemper Amps" on your Dropbox

4. Create a new workflow in Automator and drag and drop the new content folder(s) (I also have some other folders with Kemper backups in there) from the Dropbox into Automator

5. Choose the before mentioned "Create Symbolic Link" action

6. You'll find the option "Where" in the Automator Action. Choose the folder from which you moved the files to Dropbox (Macintosh HD/User/User Name/Library/Application Support/Kemper Amps)

7. Hit run and you're done! Now every Rig you save in your local library in RigManager gets synced to Dropbox!

If you have other computers you can create a symbolic link to get your files from Dropbox inside your library folder this way too! The same Rigs on all your computers.

Hope this little tutorial helped you guys :)

Greetz from Bavaria

Chris

I don't think this counts as "unusual" but I like to put a 1176 compressor (with compression circuit set to off) after the mic pre and overdrive the input of the compressor. Nice to add some sizzle to high gain tones.

I think I can contribute when it comes to the Rectifier, since I played mine for years (and still do).

There are many different revisions, but generally speaking "the Rectifier sound" is very grainy in the 4 kHz area. If you play it by yourself for the first time and have huge expectations you might be dissapointed (many people are), but this amps delivers in the mix. It cuts through very well and you'll always hear yourself. Same in the studio. The bass area is huge, but always more or less "flubby" IMO. A tubescreamer really helps to tighten up the low end, and I rarely use my Recto without one. The Rectifier is a very raw and honest sounding amp, so you really have to play clean and hard to make it come to life. 6505s, Engls and co. are very easy to play in comparison, because they compress the sound more. But bear in mind that it's harder to cut through the mix with them.

If you ever get your hands on a real rectifier I also have a few tips for you: If you dial in the amp, be aware that the controls affect each other. For example: If you turn up the treble very high, the mid control gets very limited. Lower treble gives you a better control over the mids, and you can make up the lost high end with the presence control if you like. Also the modes (raw, vintage, modern) sound very different and it's really fun to experiment with them. They also differ greatly in volume, so be careful! The vintage and raw modes are very quiet in comparison with the modern mode and it might blow you off your chair. The amp is not as overgained as most high gain amps. Don't be afraid to turn the gain up to three quarters or more! On a 6505 or most Engls you only add noise after the first half ;) The clean and crunch sounds are also very useable, so it's definitely no one trick pony!

All in all it's a great amp, if you're used to it. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Greetz from Bavaria

Chris

OK it's official... Profiling is broken in 2.4.2 for me. Normally I'd get at least in the ballpark by doing the normal profiling process and then add the last touch with refining. 2.4.2 profiling gives me a totally weird sound to begin with and refining just messes it up more. Me sad :(

Hey guys!

I'm really having some troubles with my profiler lately. All the profiles I did (high gain) sound totally phasey and also extremely muddy in the low end. Never had those problems before and I'm doing everything just as I always did! Also all my previous made DI profiles sound horrible! Like a pitch shifter is glitching away constantly. This also gets worse the harder I play. Its virtually non existant if I roll down my volume poti and pick lightly. If I pick harder and roll the volume poti up it gets worse and worse. This only occurs if the "monitor cab OFF" checkbox is checked and only on the powered output. The DI signal always sounds normal if I monitor it through the DAW via S/PDIF.

I also tried to profile my 6505 recently and constantly got the message "noise gate detected" even though there's definitely no noise gate in the signal chain. On the red channel I then always got the message "external amp to noisy" and that I should turn down the gain... The 6505 is noisy allright, but I should be able to make a decent profile with gain on 2,5 of 10, shouldn't I? I also recall that I profiled this amp before, even with higher gain settings. Totally weird right? I attach some sound samples for you guys to listen to.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4195368/Outb…rence%20Amp.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4195368/Outb…n%20refined.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4195368/Outb…e%20refined.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4195368/Outb…0real%20cab.mp3

Kemper should add support for a USB-Bluetooth adapter.
    Plug one of these babies in the back and use the Rig Manager on any Mac/PC/iPad/iPhone/Android with 'no strings attached':

[Blocked Image: http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/mp/products/1308/1308417/1308417507/1308417507_500x500_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=105;canvasWidth=105]

I'm a developer myself, so I know it's not that easy... but it sure would be nice and it would be easier to support mobile devices.
    Think of it, at the soundcheck, "this rig is not perfekt". pick up You iPhone, start Rig Manager and download a new one from the rig exchange...

I'm sorry but I had a chuckle over that one. If a band would start downloading sounds during the soundcheck... :D Very unprofessional

You go into the install folder and copy the coinstall file to the kemper driver folder. Note you will need to uninstall the current driver. This can be done in the printer and devices menu.

This finally did it for me! Thank you so much! The Rig Manager is awesome, except the whole Windows, no Mac thingy is still not so great... I'm grateful that my Mac Pro runs a virtual Windows machine in background like a boss :)