Posts by Nacht

So yesterday i tested all of them. I tested 2x12 with a powerball as poweramp and than the monitors. The Solton first... it was ok MUCH better then my behringer MUCH better. Thought this would be a good alternative. Then came the Yamaha and it blew me away. even better then the 2x12 Guitarboxes. It was just perfect so detailed and yeah ... great :D. The shopman told me to try a new box from thoman (the box pyrit) which should be very good and much has a much flatter eq curve then the yamaha

http://www.thomann.de/de/the_box_pyrit_12a.htm

it didnt sounded that great as the yamaha (great anyway) but he told me since i have to setup mainly a sound for the PA and this thing is mainly for me it would be the much better joice zu take the pyrit because of the flat response. And yeah i think hes right. Didnt buy one yesterday because i dont know if i can live with a monitorbox on stage... it just dont look like rock/metal ... and .. yeah the optical thing is very important for me two ... a fullrange in a 2x12 box would be perfect ... but there is none right (except the atomic)?

Oh yeah all of those boxes wasnt too loud dont know if we need some bigger ones ?

Hello,

today i played the kemper with my behringer FR monitor box and the sound was awful. It just cutted my ears of. Im considering to buy a cheap (bugera etc) amp and use it as poweramp + a nice box but i dont think this is the answer cause in that way i save no weight at all by using the kemper. So is there any FRFR box out there which sounds good for high gain sounds under 500€ ? I made a new thread because the clean sounds sounded ok. Im just seeking for a box that sounds good with highgain sounds.

That sounds more like something that would be in the range of a Super Lead, at least gain wise. But it still has scooped mids and not that midrange bite the olde Marshalls up to the JCM800 are known for. Knowing these amps quite well I can at least say you can't dial out that midrange sound because the tone stack on those older Marshalls is not really doing that much ;)

But of course they could have done all sorts of things in the studio and it does sound processed to me. So your best bet would be to try the grafic EQ in the Kemper. I would look for a JCM900 profile though or maybe even a TSL. That might be a better starting point than a vintage Marshall.

Ok thank you. Maybe i just into the pre-amp-processing shown in this video. try it with other amps - maybe i get my "palm-mute-chunk" and have my perfect profile :)

I know it's possible since I've seen profiles like this.

I tried doing this with Ozones match eq, by first recording a bit of the riff I'm trying to match, then created the match eq curve in Ozone, then profiled this eq curve and saved it as a cab, but it's just not there. It's way too much of a DI cab emulator sounding to be useful, obviously because I can't have both the cab profile I used for the match eq, and this new one, on at the same time.

Any tips on how to do this?

Let's say, I'm trying to get the new Kreator album tone. I know they used a mix of the EVH head and an Engl of some sort. There's a soloed rhythm guitar on the title track so that part is easy.

The problem is the cabdriver wont work that way (just with the monitor out)

This doesn't sound like a cranked vintage Marshall to me. It's more of a modern highgain sound. Quite different frequency response and a bit scooped in the mids. I don't think you get there with the ingredients of the EVH brown sound. If it's a Marshall it's probably one of the recent high-gain range or it's something completely different like Diezel, Bogner oder Mesa Rectifier.

hm i think it sounds nothing like the normal metal sound mesa diezel and so on produces. There are those BIG, Fat highs (almost sounds as there were no cab) but not harsh or cutting at all and i never heard them anywhere else except van halen or manson/skold. I know Skold plays a Marshall 1959SL. it could also be a framus dragon or a marshall JCM800/900. And as i saw this video it was the first time i was close to this sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNrMUI1I3I

another example of skolds sound (poor quality) . And i dont think its exactly the EVH sound but the same direction.. more gain and more modern. Really think this is the false direction?

I'm at the office right now and can't check the video as those are blocked here. I'll check tonight when I get home.

But regarding the variac:
    It's pretty much the same as the recent "powerscaling" circuits in certain boutique amps and some recent Marshalls (the YJM for example or the AFD100). They basically reduce the voltage of the (power)tubes. The variac would reduce all voltages (from the preamp valves as well). All in all it will change the character and the amount of the distortion a tiny bit but there is also a reason why these powerscaling circuits are said to be the best "Mastervolume" solution since they retain most of the character of an amp. Much more than a typical attenuator does.

So it's pretty much a great way to get the cranked amp sound at a lower volume which is why Eddie used it. I can imagine that even in the 70s nobody could crank a 100 Watt Marshall in a club. That variac thing is more about getting the brown sound at lower volumes than getting the brown sound at all.

make sense :) Thank you!
    looking forward to your thoughts if im on the right way gettin that tone :)

Thx for your answer. I came for it because as i mentioned i love the sound of skold and on a dvd of him he said that he uses a variac too (or voltage dont even know the difference im a noob in such things) "it is no secret because EVH did this while creating the brown sound" So i think the voltage have to do something? Have you listend the video i posted (manson - mobscene) it is some sort of brown sound isnt it?

The Brown sound was orginally created putting a voltage in front of the amp is that right? So why dont somebody upload just a real Brown Sound profile?

2. What do you think about the brownsound pedals? (wampler pinnacle and so on)

This was a very good starting point but im noth there where i want to. Need to have mor chunk in the Palm mutes but dont wanna increase the presence since it get harsh then.

(again im not searching for the Eddie Van Halen brown sound - im searching for the Skold / Marilyn Manson 2003 brown sound :) )

I love this tone ... so much highs but nothing harsh.. for me its simply the PERFECT guitar tone.

Example:
    http://www.tape.tv/vid/7592