Posts by Johnnyh64

I'm pretty sure it's also the Behringer monitors. As much as I like the "underdog" companies that provide the average musician with really cheap equipment to get started. It's just that..."equipment to get you started". I personally believe that a speaker design is very difficult to engineer correctly. At least to do so effectively. I would stick with companies that specialize in or have a more thorough background in speaker design. Tannoy makes a great little 8" studio reference monitor for around $179.00 US each. They sound fantastic with the Kemper.

The AmpFactory profiles are actually pretty bright which is likely a lot of the appeal of them compared to so many others. Coincidentally they are from a real recording studio that uses real reference monitors as well. If they are sounding dark it's because you are doing something wrong on your end. Running these profiles through a guitar power amp into a guitar speaker is not going to give you the truest sense of the capabilities available to you. You are basically cutting out a very important part of the modeling/profiling advantage which is to have multiple speaker cabs and amplifiers with different microphones giving you a very versatile and multifaceted venue of sound exploration.

I would agree that studio reference monitors are going to give you the best and most accurate representation of your sound out of the Kemper. However, if you are playing live in a band and need more volume, which I doubt reference monitors would be good for, I would opt for either the RCF's that were mentioned (haven't tried these) or the Yamaha DXR12's (which I do own). I love, love, love the Yamaha DXR12's as they are relatively flat, small and extremely loud if you need them. They also have a 3 input mixer on the back of each one. I got mine on sale for $599.00 each. I know many modeler amp users also like the QSC K12 or K10's as well but in my opinion they aren't as good sounding as the Yamaha and they are more expensive. The high end on the QSC seemed a little more brash where the high end on the Yamaha's were silky smooth. Go to your local music store and bring the Kemper in to try out some speakers. The ONLY downside is they are heavier than I want at 42.5 pounds. I wish they were 30 lbs or less. But, they are not by any means "heavy" I'm just old :P

I do wish that I could get away with reference monitors for live use instead as I believe they are designed to be as flat as possible which in the land of modeling technology is a very good thing. I often dream of the small lightweight speaker up on stands in stereo giving me a blissful tone. Just not sure the volume would cut it.

Thanks guys, I played around with it some more and today it sounds a little better. Some profiles are really bright and this brings out a bit more of the digital aspect that I don't want to hear. I like a little bright just not so in your face. It's not as bad as originally stated. Different profiles work better. The cab light was on btw. Just learning this thing and so far it's impressive.

I read another thread as I searched for any information on the headphone amp output and figured out start a new thread as that one was pretty old. I have several really nice headphones and the sound coming out of the Kemper almost appears to be bypassing the cab sim part of the profile. It sounds really bright and harsh and digital. Anyone else experience this? My gain stages are good, and I know it's not digital clipping, it's just weird. Do I need to set up something different? The main outs sound great but what gives with the headphones out?