Posts by KeysAndGuitars

This has been the subject of endless discussions here and in a number of other forums.

To my knowledge, Kemper has not announced a date or clarified whether more effects will be an “upgrade” and cost money.

They are clearly working on an update as the manual references Kemper OS 11 and the Player is on 10.x.

Thanks both of you for your answers.

I've decided to use "bypass@stop".

Too bad that in this mode the wah->vol function is not available 😂.

If Wah is inactive, Pedal Link doesn’t work?

From page 127 of the Player manual:

 Pedal Link

This allows you to use an expression pedal for multiple purposes. The setting applies to an expression pedal connected to the pedal Input as well as to MIDI.

“WahPedal >Volume” links the Volume Pedal function to the Wah Pedal.

For detailed explanation please refer to chapter Expression Pedals and Foot Switches.

From page 70 of the manual:

Connecting an Expression Pedal

The PROFILER Player features an input for the direct connection of an expression pedal. This can be configured in System Settings available in Rig Manager.

The Pedal Input is already preassigned as a combined Wah, and Volume Pedal. This is achieved by assigning the Wah Pedal function and activating “WahPedal >Volume”.

If you stick to these default assignments, you just need to plug in the TRS-cable – firstly into the pedal, then into the Player. Afterwards, you should perform a full sweep of the pedal to perform an automatic calibration.

The two functions “Wah Pedal” and “Volume Pedal” are mutually exclusive. As soon as a Wah effect is active, the

Wah Pedal controls this effect, while volume stays flat. As soon as there is no Wah effect in the current Rig, or if the Wah effect is switched off, the Wah Pedal defaults to controlling volume.

bca_100 I couldn’t see detailed specifications of the unit itself on Amazon Spain (the fact that I don’t speak Spanish undoubtedly didn’t help!), but I did check the Harley Benton pedalboard power unit it is meant for, the PowerPlant ISO-1 Pro. This system demands a 12v 2000mA supply, which is the power required by the Profiler.

In other words, it seems this would be fine. I suggest verifying that the DC output plug is 5.5/2.1mm. I did see that it is center negative.

Another alternative:

Cioks SOL

3 x Cioks 8800 parallel cable

Powers the Player and leaves one 9-18v 6w socket for another device.

Personally, I use the Cioks DC7 and CRUZ adapter. Cioks products are as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. They do exactly what is advertised, with near-perfect build quality, compact dimensions and great esthetics.

The SOL is a lot less costly than the DC7+CRUX or DC7+3x 8800 cable.

Yes, you need 3 of the CIOKS 8800 parallel cables.

I don’t think it will matter whether the outputs are 9v or 12v. You’re getting the same ~24 watts either way.

The CIOKS SOL with 3 x 8800 parallel cables should work for you. Your Shure wireless requires 250mA, and should easily power up from the 5th SOL power port.

As I and others have said on this forum, CIOKS gear is absolutely first rate. You should have no problems.

sfa_100 the MIDI capabilities of the Player are laid out pretty clearly (IMHO) in the manual on page 160:

Rig Change

The PROFILER Player storage offers ten banks with five Rigs each - fifty Rigs overall. These can be loaded via MIDI program changes # 1-50 respectively.

The Player is compatible with universal MIDI foot controllers, which were designed for the KEMPER PROFILER use its “relative” method based on CC# 47-54 to load sounds. This includes the application of the global parameter Bank Load which can be found in System Settings.

Find more information regarding these control changes in the Main Manual of the KEMPER PROFILER, which can be downloaded at the KEMPER download page here:

Downloads | Kemper Amps

sfa_100 Rig up/down is not supported, but direct access to the 50 Rigs of the Player is.

In my keyboard MIDI setup, which is on the extreme end of complexity, it would be easy for me to store a “current rig number” and to increment up and down. Not all MIDI controllers are capable of that, and those that are may be uncomfortable for many users to program.

As someone who has done quite a bit of controller programming, I suggest you find a way to assign controller keys to specific Rigs, Effects On/Off and Effect parameter changes.

May I suggest you watch the inspiring (to a MIDI user) video one of our fellow Player owners made of his MIDI setup with a Keith McMillen Softstep2 pedal? You can find it near the bottom of this thread:

Dvoid666
    December 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM

As an aside, I own and use the Softstep2 for my keyboard rig. It is spectacular, if you’re prepared to invest in understanding how to configure it.

Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask further questions!

I came back and added a noise gate on all rigs that presents this annoying sound, i thought this was another reason that 2 stomps before an amp is really too little.....

Steve5478 have you tried the Noise Gate in the Input section?

It seems to work well for me, albeit I haven’t tried it outside of my home studio. If it works for you, you’ll save one of the two precious pre-stack fix slots.

FM3 is much more expensive, C.Kemper said all features will be able in a paid version and is on the roadmap. Don't you think it could be a better/cheaper solution ?

I looked at FM3. It is one heck of an amazing piece of kit. As a hardware pedal, all of the I/O and onboard controls come at the cost of a much larger and heavier pedal, which led me to take the FM3 out of the running when I last considered it. At that point, I thought the Quad Cortex would be better for me. Then Tonex came out, and it seemed like a great way to get capture tech in a small pedal with a reasonable price tag. It does work well (perhaps Tonex captures an amp even a bit more accurately than Kemper, but it’s a subtle difference), but it’s not anywhere near the overall “pro” quality of a Kemper Profiler.

Fractal vs Kemper is a question of approach. Both will deliver excellent results, but in very different ways.

When the Player came out, I knew it was right for me. Replacing my Tonex with KPP was a no-brainer, despite the limitations the current software revision presents.

In the end, I can understand why a guitarist would choose an FM3, Quad Cortex, Tonex or the Player. I am very happy with my choice of the Player.

pippopluto and OneEng1 thank you from this new Kemper owner (I just got a Player) for your rational review of the situation. I knew what I was getting in the Player, and I’m very pleased with it. Kemper has delivered exactly what I expected.

That said, two points, mostly in support of your statement:

1. It’s understandable that existing Kemper owners are frustrated over the lack of direct rig compatibility. I hope Kemper will fix this by adding the missing FX, Morph and the like.

2. While Kemper support for Profiler products has been exemplary, they do have another line where there are widely expressed complaints - the Access Virus synth. I also own an Access, and while I am not troubled by it, many Access owners legitimately gripe about the incompatibility of the “Total Integration” functionality with all new MacOS releases for since 2017.

As a small, largely “boutique” musical gear provider, Kemper lives or dies on the belief that it will support its user community. ckemper is an incredibly talented designer and producer of high-end musical gear. His products stand head and shoulders above the competition in the pro world. I hope he can make and carry out the decisions that will maintain the high regard his customers have for his company. This passionate user community is Mr. Kemper’s most valuable business asset.

luizfrma the specs of the Engine Room LVL8 seem good, but I don’t see parallel cables to gang up 4 outputs to support the 2000mA requirement of the KPP. Do you know where to acquire (or can you make) this parallel cable? Also, the outlets are rated 500mA. At 9v, the Player may actually draw more than 4 x 500mA. It could be borderline.

Seconding the point about the CIOKS DC7. It’s a bit more expensive, especially if you add the CRUX, but it’s rock solid. With the CRUX, after plugging in the Player, you’ve still got 7 outlets, all of which support 9-18v. The CRUX supports 12v at 2000mA, which will drive the Player without problems (mine has run many hours in the 6 days since my Player arrived). CIOKS makes a boatload of adapter cables, a bunch of which are included with the device. I’ve used them to power all kinds of kit. It’s an excellent product line.

I am ordering this product from Thomann:

LEFT]Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-Adapter 12[/LEFT][LEFT][Blocked Image: https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb//bdbmagic/pics/prod/482907.jpg][/LEFT]

Of course, if a Euro plug isn’t suitable to where you live, you would need an adapter, which isn’t hard to find.

Another forum member seems to have found a product at Sweetwater in the US. I can’t attest to that.

You need a unit that supplies 12v 2000mA or 9v 2700mA, 5.5/2.1mm center-negative plug. An adapter that will power a Neural Quad Cortex would likely work for our Kemper Profiler Players, again according to specs.

In my studio I power the KPP using a CIOKS DC7 with CRUX adapter. It has proven to reliably power the Player over extended periods of time.

Knowing what kpahuitsing posted above (thanks!) makes me feel smart for ordering the Mission Engineering pedal. I can understand the comments about the fulcrum being rather close to the heel, which I’ve had no problem with. It’s what I imagined a wah would feel like.

So far, the Mission Engineering has been plug-and-play with my Player. The option for “Bypass @ Stop” seems quite effective, and the pedal smoothly switches from volume to wah when that is turned on.

I had the exact same problem.

I believed I’ve solved it with the following steps:

1. Load rig into Player’s edit buffer
    2. Tweak to taste
    3. Rename (dropdown top right of bottom half of Rig Manager)
    4. Store in Profiler
    5. Store in local library

From that point, edits seem to affect the Rig I intended them to.

The above is from the first and only session of a few hours yesterday that I’ve had to really dive into this cool piece of equipment. The process seems to work, but I’d love to hear from those more experienced in the Kemper-verse if there’s a better way to do things.

I would also appreciate if someone has a reference for how to use presets in the Profiler. I understand that effects settings and entire effects chains can be stored as presets, which would radically speed using a different profile with one’s favorite effects chain, for example. The material I found doesn’t completely describe how to do this.