Posts by thekrz

Thanks again guys :)

I understand the desire for amp in the room though, its what we grew up with and the only way we could get our sound heard ( mic in front of a cab).

It will be interesting how you find the EV....I suspect you will get the clarity you have bene missing but you may feel its a touch clinical..almost too accurate :)

To be fair, I'm looking for the studio tones just as much, I just prefer to move air once in a while :)

I'm really looking forward to the EV. I didn't get it because I'm hoping it would replace my traditional PA + cabs and obviously I'm not expecting it to sound like a guitar cab in any way but maybe it will give me a use case that I can be really happy with.

I have EV monitors, many models of JBLs, Turbosound, Community, KRK, Adam, Alesis, Klipsch. Some sound great and other don't. The range of quality is very wide. I now only focus on tweaking profiles with what I know are good speakers for the Kemper. Otherwise, I view it as wasted time and I have found that I can tweak endlessly with a 'bad' speaker and never achieve an acceptable sound.

So, which speakers have worked out for you? Would you consider the EV PXM-12MP a good pick? I don't have the money for a Meyer or something similar top of the line stuff but I've really only read good things about the EV in the Fractal Forums at the price point - especially being coaxial.

I think the issue is pretty simple, although you may not like the answer....

Hope that helps..

Thank you, that was really thoughtful and you've touched on lots of points.

The thing is, I'm only playing at home in my small home studio. The reason I have my guitar cabs and power amps is that sometimes I really enjoy that amp in the room sound, feel and dynamics.

I don't have the Axe EQd at all - I just plug it in and pretty much everything sounds stellar after turning off cab simulation. The same doesn't work with the Kemper - apart from the DI profiles I'm still getting that muffled and wholly sound you're mentioning and maybe even more importantly, I feel like my pick attack is super compressed with every profile.

I have an EV PXM-12MP on the way, though, and I'll be really interested to hear what the Kemper will do with decent FRFR.

So, after tweaking a lot my main issue still hasn't changed. This only applies to tube/SS PA + real guitar cab use.

Somehow I feel like a tremendous amount of clarity is just missing from most of the profiles I've tried. The DI ones are much better in this regard (SinMix DIs for example) but I still feel like my Axe-Fx III is doing an uncomparably better job. I'm not an Axe fanboy, I'm trying to make the Kemper work for me in a similar use case. But for some reason everything that comes out of it is just muddy, lifeless and missing clarity. As soon as I go to headphones/studio monitors and listen with cab sim or IRs everything sounds much better and I actually prefer the Kemper's feel to the Axe's in many cases.

I'm trying to figure out the reason - could this be due to separating amps and cabs on profiles taken with a cab is something that isn't perfect and the cab's imprint is still there in this case? Should I just accept that this use case is something the Kemper is not ideal for?

Thank you all for chiming in.

What should you know? You should have known to keep it. :P

I think you are finding DI without cab better is because you are wanting stronger mids for tone. So don't cut any mids and use the Definition parameter to lose low end muddiness. Of course, Cab or IR selection is going to make a huge impact on tone. Reamping is probably the fastest way to tweak to get the tone you want.

I'm not using any cabs or IRs because I'm running into a power amp with a real guitar cab - this is why I don't understand my struggle.

Hi all,

So after a very long while (I bought my original Kemper in 2012 and sold it in the same year) I've acquired an unpowered Kemper Toaster Head again.

I know a lot has happened since then, but what are the most important/valuable things that I should be aware of, set up, try, etc?

I've downloaded RM, updated to the newest beta and had a quick go with profiles (liquid and traditional) and I really liked the tone and feel with headphones. Then I've experimented with plugging into my PA + traditional guitar cab rig (using a Fryette LXII mainly but also having access to two TC BAM200s if I want SS) and I thought it sounded really bad for some reason. I've stereo linked the two mono outputs on the back and disabled cab sim on them so I'm guessing there's no secret setting that would immediately alleviate it. Everything sounds muddy to the point where every profile pretty much sounds the same, a muddy cloud of lows and low-mids with not too much of the pretty harmonic content I'm used to with guitar amps. The low end also seems to be very off which was not the case with headphones - I've actually thought the low end through headphones was just perfect and totally amp and cab-like. Interestingly, some DI profiles done without a cab sound much better but I still feel like tremendous amount of harmonic (and high end) detail is missing. Do you have any ideas? I'd really like to make the Kemper work with this more traditional setup because I absolutely love the FRFR tones and would be really happy if I could translate it to the "amp in the room" realm.

For comparison, I'm running my Axe-Fx III into the same rig and it sounds just perfect although it's interesting to mention that for this quick first run I've actually preferred the feel and sound of the Kemper through headphones which I actually hate the Axe with.

Thanks in advance - it's good to be back and I'm trying to make the most of it :)