Posts by doctormcfarland

The main point is internal gain staging. If one rig is reading -10dbfs but another is -2dbfs but they are far apart to access quickly then there is not an easy way to roughly match levels. Nothing has to be exact but in the ballpark would be nice. On the Headrush for instance I look at the output meter to make sure the rig volume is hitting just below zero. This ensures all the rigs are roughly the same and my Master volume knob on the unit can also be set consistent position.

Its funny there isn't a rig volume meter anywhere that gives you a standard of measurement to adjust rig volumes. Some of my profiles are low in volume and others are high but who is to know what level to make them without a meter. Yes we can use an external meter but most modelers today have some sort of meter to adjust volumes with. Fractal, Headrush, Helix, QC and TMP all have output meters. I hope this can be considered.

I have gone back and forth with the Kemper because I didn't like how the drive pedals responded. When you crank the volume on a tube screamer for instance it is meant to give you more gain but also give you a slight volume boost. Due to the Clean Compensation feature that is built in to the Kemper the volume of the amp always turned down and that was annoying IMO. Even using the Pure boost before the amp I got more gain but also a volume drop.

Now with the Clean Compensation parameter exposed in the amp block I can choose to change that setting per rig to get the volume boost I want when pushing amps with gain pedals. I had emailed support about this and it wasn't a a few days later (simply coincidence) that this feature was added. Now the Kemper is perfect and I am loving the tones and workflow.

I will post a video on my channel very soon.

Hey guys, after trying many different modelers from Fractal, Headrush, Helix, Tone Master Pro and Quad Cortex I am sticking with the Kemper. I can profile any amp I want, the effects are just amazing and I love the gapless swtiching. The unit really checks all the boxes for me and will be doing a whole video series on my youtube channel.

Keep rockin!

Doctor McFarland Studios
    Welcome to my channel here on Youtube. I am dedicated to building a community of confident musicians who are always ready for the studio or the stage. You…
    www.youtube.com