Posts by nwmusic32

Kemper Stage vs. Kemper Player (Level III)
    Question: Is a Kemper Player (Level III) appropriately priced compared to a Stage? I'm not so sure...

Kemper Stage has the following that a Level III Player doesn't:
    >> Profiling Capabilities

>> LCD Display

>> Several adjustment knobs and soft buttons
    >> Performance Mode
    >> Several additional footswitches for performance slots, up/down rig and performance selection

>> Actual tuner display and dedicated footswitch

>> Stereo effects loops

>> Stereo XLR out
    >> Looper dedicated footswitch

I'm not sure the price point fits exactly. The physical Player unit lacks a lot of the features of the Stage (actual display, several knobs and soft buttons, footswitches for tuner, tap tempo, looper, two effects loops for send and return, separate footswitches for pedal on/off, stereo XLR outs, etc.).

Also....none of these paid upgrades allow you to profile amps which is what Kemper is known for in the first place. You don't get models of amps; you have to profile yours or buy profiles online (yes, I know - rig exchange. but a lot of them are not great).

So...a "full feature" player is $1,000. A stage is $1,600. Is it only a $600 feature difference between the two? I'm not so sure.

I have been gigging a Kemper Stage for a few years now. Recently, I tried the Quad Cortex to see what else is out there. The UI is better in some ways, not better in others. The amp tones were really nice. The effects were average compared to Kemper.

Ultimately, I returned the unit because as I would add gain, I would get this awful hum which is a known issue I guess. I also missed morphing and the general setup of performance mode. And the tweaking options are not on par with Kemper. Yes, you can capture pedals (which Kemper should think about) and there are some dual amp things, but I honestly never think about dual amps. Just get the amp you want and use a studio EQ block for the rest (IMO).

What I would love from Kemper is the ability to drop my laptop and use my iPhone or iPad for all of Rig Manager. My iPhone has USB-C now, so I feel like we should be able to manage rigs, presets, etc. with a mobile app. Right now, I use my laptop for transferring rigs and just ease of use.

Recently updated Rig Manger on macOS and now have an issue. When editing a slot in a performance, if I hit save and then go to select a different slot in the same performance, it won't load. I have to load a different performance and then go back. It's not great (for example) when I think I'm editing slot 2, but really I'm still on slot 1.

Emailed Kemper Support twice and no response.

Anyone else experiencing this?

What is your current setup you are using for the Player? What power supply, are you using studio monitors or headphones, etc.? Something in your setup could be affecting the Kemper.

Have you tried running just the Kemper Player with the stock power supply by itself with headphones?

Also, is this happening with multiple guitars? Or just one?

I sold my Kemper Player and returned to my Kemper Stage, and one small reason was the tuner. I was at a gig and had to fully restring a guitar in a bit of a hurry; finding the correct pitch proved a bit too difficult in a rushed setting. I would recommend that Kemper add a tuner display to the Rig Manager app for iOS. This would eliminate a lot of the complaints.

Without adding the tuner display to Rig Manager, if I were to use the Player in the future I'd add a dedicated tuner pedal with a display or a clip on tuner.

So a few things could be going on.

First, most DI boxes have a setting/button that drops the volume. For example Radial boxes have a button to drop the signal -15db - that's a lot.

Second, try removing everything but the Kemper and then start adding things back. It's possible another pedal is to blame for the bass issue. The Kemper Player has (2) FX slots after the amp you could use for modulation, reverb, and/or delay to eliminate the other pedals.

If you find after this there's still too much bass, go into the Output settings of the Kemper Player and add a low cut of 100hz. This will be a global setting so it should solve any bass issues quickly.

The 1/4" monitor L/R outputs on the Player are balanced/TRS signals so they can be run straight to the mixing board/PA without a DI box if you eliminate the pedals after the Kemper Player. If using other pedals after the Kemper Player though, I would go to the DI Box like you mentioned.

I play in (3) groups right now and every one of them tunes/EQ's the PA system at a gig. This is a normal practice.

I gigged the Kemper Player several times with Britt profiles and did not experience what you are describing.

Cheers!

I think I remember someone from Kemper saying in another post that this isn’t possible due to the way the iOS/Android app is built. My memory isn’t great these days so I could be imagining that but I think I’m right.

I hope that is not the case. I would also be a bit confused why you can't do it if that was really said. You can store files locally and in the cloud with the Files app. iPhones and iPads are now USB-C and can handle mobile storage. I really do not see why this would be an issue? Android and iPhones have had file transfer ability for years too.

Wondering if there are plans to upgrade the iOS version of Rig Manager so you can manage profiles and rigs in the same way as the desktop version. I would love (using the Files app on my phone/iPad) to manage everything mobile without needing a separate laptop. Tweaking is fine, but when I need to load a different rig on the go, it's very difficult without dragging a laptop with.

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would share my experience gigging the Kemper Player at some gigs this summer. As always, these are my thoughts and opinions only. I am a Kemper Stage user and am very much used to that interface especially with the display, tap tempo footswitch, etc. I also run though IEM's, not wedges.

Pedalboard Setup

Volume X Mini for Expression Pedal. Plug into Walrus Canvas Tuner - > Wah Pedal -> Talk Box -> Kemper Player -> Stereo to our X32 Board

Footswitch #1 - Green Screamer On/Off

Footswitch #2 - Chorus On/Off

Footswitch #3 - Delay On/Off

Volume X Mini Expression Pedal for Solo Boost

Powering the Player

I used a Cioks DC7 and Crux to power the Player and my other pedals. It was a bit pricey, but it works well and have had 0 power issues.

Tone & Feel

The tone and feel of the Player is as expected; fantastic. I use captures of my Friedman amp, as well as MBritt profiles. I'm very happy with the tone and feel of the Player vs. the Stage.

Effects

The effects sound great. Really wish they had the Kemper Drive available, but for $699 you can't get everything.

Foot Switching & Effects Blocks

This is where things get a bit messy for me. I like to have a Fender amp and a Marshall amp. I find myself struggling to find the best way to have all my effects, know what amp I'm on, and have an option for solo boosting around +3dB. For example; with our IEM's, I like to have delay and reverb on the Player. With only two effects blocks after the amp, I have to find another way to perform a solo volume boost (expression pedal, midi, bank change).

I have used an expression pedal as a volume boost during a show and it was fine; got the job done. I also tried a M-Vave midi footswitch and while it did function, there's not much to visually tell you what's happening. For example, I used it to engage a green scream drive in one of the FX blocks, but there was no indication whether or not the drive was on except my ears (unless you assign it to FX1 or FX2). I have also tried moving between rig banks - this works well, but you now give up two footswitches to accomplish this. I know you could grab an extension footswitch and do this as well.

For a cover band, I find I need a drive boost, chorus, delay, reverb and a way to boost volume for solos. In this situation, you run out of options quick using just the player. Either things will just stay on, or you assign footswitches and rely on the app to do the bank switching. The other option is use some of your guitar pedals with the Kemper (Duh-that's what it's meant for). I do try and keep my setup as minimal as possible but will give this a shot as well this summer.

Using Rig Manager Live

At the first show I played with this, I brought my iPad and ran rig manager since there is no display on the Player. It was....ok. It stayed connected, but I found myself fiddling with the app a lot. I do wonder what that looks like to the audience when I'm putting my attention towards the tablet and not them. Now, if I only used (1) amp profile, I wouldn't worry about rig manager. I am trying this at the next gig and using the volume on the guitar as the "drive" setting.

Tap Tempo

I never realized how much I use tap tempo. I know a lot of players set and forget, but I'm not usually one of them. In this case, I have had to become one because I'm out of footswitches. Also, I'm not sure why there's a tap tempo button on the Player; can't really use this during a show without bending over all the time. I recommend (in my position) using an external footswitch like the Source Audio Tap Tempo.

Running to a PA

The stereo monitor outs are TRS so you can run direct to the board without a DI Box. All good here.

Overall Experience

Overall, I love the tone and feel that the Player gives you; matches right up to the Stage. It provides a professional sound and experience for the audience. My request to Kemper: offer to purchase more effects blocks, or allow me to move the effect blocks to pre or post amp depending on my need. I only need one block pre amp, but three post amp would allow me to have delay, reverb, and a volume boost. This would fix most of my struggles. In general, I have found myself spending time trying to find setup solutions or thinking "what do I need and not need" versus the Stage which gives me everything right away.

Anyways, I will continue to tweak my setup, maybe just reduce to one amp profile for now. I'll check back later this summer after gigging for a while. Cheers -

Hello All,

I am really new to midi and have a midi foot controller now to use with the Kemper Player. I see that CC#7 is for the Volume Pedal and that Rig Settings for Rig Volume is address page 4, number 1. But that's where I'm stuck.

Can someone tell me what message to send for a +3db volume boost for either volume pedal or rig volume? I am using a Hotone Ampero Control.

Appreciate any help!!