Recording

• Do you guys just record through headphones or monitors... and polish it after recording

what I mean is, when you have a nice guitar tone through your Kemper, does it have to be nice through the monitors, headphones etc before you record it and where do you draw your conclusions as to how it will sound after recording...

I guess it's different for everyone...

steve

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• It just depends. I record most guitars while using my nearfields. For solo guitars i often want some additional feedback so i add my poweramp and 4 x 12 in the room for increased interaction with the guitar. When recording bass i use headphones because the active pickups pick up too much of that nasty click.

Getting a feeling for guitar sounds that work nicely in a mix can be very challenging. The best way to get a little deeper into this is to get your hands on some multitrack files and just try out which sounds work better than others.

• I dial in my sounds with my nearfeilds. Sometimes what sounds good while I am playing, won't be the right sound for the song and mix after listening back, I have spent time auditioning different profiles and have a good handful that I know will work for my style and preference for certain stuff, though I am finding stuff that works all the time with new profiles. I often don't dial in TOO bright as I take in post processing and eq on master. and usually don't have to mess with core guitar tone too much when I find something that just fits.

all guitars will sound slightly different, so its a matter of choosing what works for your guitar, what works for the song in context. I personally have a hard time referencing with headphones.

• + 1 to what has been said already.

I also recommend recording the direct guitar output from the Kemper in tandem with the main processed signal.
    Then, if you decide later that the original sound doesnt suit, you can re-amp the direct signal through various rigs in the Kemper.

Just some quick tips:
    1 - Record a direct track from the guitar. Can save you in a pinch if the initial processed recording doesnt fit with the mix.

2 - Try double the guitar tracks and hard pan them opposite to one another. It'll give you a "huge" sound....of course, only do this if you WANT that sound...
    (Note - duplicating the original track and panning it opposite to the original is not the same thing.... )

3 - If doubling, the more you layer, the more you reduce the gain per layered. Especially true for high gain sounds. Otherwise you end up with a wall of "fizz" and not enough tone. There is supposed to be a note in there after all! :)

4 - Watch the brightness. Most beginners have the brightness WAY too high on their recordings.

5 - Keep an eye on your treble and presence settings.....see #3.....

6 - Some people will say "if you need to EQ it afterwards, you need to re-record it!" .IMHO, not necessarily. Dont be afraid to apply some EQ during the mix to help balance the tone with the rest of the instruments.
    However, if you find yourself applying a LOT of boosting and cutting, AND doing so over a long time ....AND you are STILL not 100% happy with the result, then you are probably better off re-recording the part.....or using your direct guitar recording (essentially the performance) and re-amping it until you get a tone that you are happy with.

7 - When mixing, USE. A. REFERENCE TRACK!!!!!
    I cant count the amount of times a reference track has pulled me back from the brink! your ears and brain will get tired and distracted when mixing. Use a reference to help to guide you. This is not the same as trying to completely duplicate the sound of the reference track. But mixing without one is very hard to do, at least, in the beginning.

8 - When making comparisons, volume match the parts/effects first. Your ear will 99.999% of the time prefer the louder version, even though it could be detrimental to your mix! Balance the volume first between the before and after scenarios and then you can REALLY hear that the change is doing to your tone... :)

9 - Check the tuning between takes. Nothing worse than nailing that difficult part, then hearing that it sounds flat/sharp in the mix!

Some of these are fairly obvious, but sure never hurts to get a refresher now and again! :)

• GREAT POST. I wish I had someone like you to help me constantly! This post should be stickied.

• I refrained from doing recordings. It seemed to me more like a secret science. My trials were always a mess and sounded like being recorded in a trash can. The rehearsal recordings serve a different purpose (still trash can), but with drumdrum's post I'll give it a try with my Zoom and Audacity for a fresh beginning.
    Thank you very much!

Labrat

• I refrained from doing recordings. It seemed to me more like a secret science. My trials were always a mess and sounded like being recorded in a trash can. The rehearsal recordings serve a different purpose (still trash can), but with drumdrum's post I'll give it a try with my Zoom and Audacity for a fresh beginning.
    Thank you very much!

Labrat

Everybody knows these situations. The best way to get started is imo to get a little distance from the guitar. Getting a good mix depends to at least 70% on the drum and bass sound. So start with those. In the last years all those drum libraries made major leap towards regarding the sound quality. EZDrummer with all that little expansions is really a great way to start. If you combine this with a halfway decent bass sound you almost can´t go wrong with your guitars.

• Everybody knows these situations. The best way to get started is imo to get a little distance from the guitar. Getting a good mix depends to at least 70% on the drum and bass sound. So start with those. In the last years all those drum libraries made major leap towards regarding the sound quality. EZDrummer with all that little expansions is really a great way to start. If you combine this with a halfway decent bass sound you almost can´t go wrong with your guitars.

Just checked EZDrummer! Looks very good! Thank you!