Pedals in front of Kemper Stage

• 1) I have a few pedals such as overdrives that I can't be without that I have in stomp effects loop.

Is there a downside if I instead connect them before the Kemper input, compared to place them in a loop?

I have a compressor pedal before the overdrives and even though the Kemper compressor is very nice I am satisfied with my OKKO Cocaine and its character.

If I instead un them before the input I save one effect block for other.

Since I have several pedals I still have to do some tap dancing.....

2)If I run pedals before the input does Kemper input have a buffer so any buffer in the end of the effects chain is not needed?

It is probably not needed in my case since I for the moment have quite few.

Does the loops act as buffers?

3) Is there a reason why loop distortion does not have a MIX/ BLEND function as on Loop Stereo and Mono?

Mike

• manual, pages 270-273

pg270

Effect Loop (Pink) To connect external gear, the PROFILER offers a hardware effects loop, represented by the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND and the RETURN on the back side. These are the same jacks that you use for PROFILING. ✓ The PROFILER Stage even offers two SEND outputs and four RETURN inputs, which allows the use of two independent effect loops. You can apply a hardware effect loop in any of the effect modules. For PROFILER models other than Stage, you cannot use the hardware effects loop in more than one location of the signal flow at the same time. So, if you try to engage the loop at more than one location within one Rig, the first loop in the signal flow will win. Similar logic applies, if you try to configure more than two effect loops within one Rig at the PROFILER Stage. While Loop Mono works well in any effect module, you can establish a stereo return for your external effects by placing Loop Stereo in the X, MOD, DLY or REV modules. In this case, the RETURN INPUT will work as the left input and the ALTERNATIVE INPUT as the right input for any PROFILER model other than Stage. With PROFILER Stage you could establish even two independent effect loops: • Loop Mono or Loop Distortion via lower loop (SEND 2 and RETURN 3) plus another optional Loop Mono or Loop Distortion via upper loop (SEND 1 and RETURN 1) • Loop Stereo via lower loop (SEND 2 and RETURN 3+4) plus another optional Loop Stereo via upper loop (SEND 1 and RETURN 1+2) • Loop Stereo via lower loop (SEND 2 and RETURN 3+4) plus Loop Mono or Loop Distortion via upper loop (SEND 1 and RETURN 1) • Loop Mono or Loop Distortion via lower loop (SEND 2 and RETURN 3) plus Loop Stereo via upper loop (SEND 1 and RETURN 1+2) Therefor the PROFILER Stage offers an additional option within the effect loop to assign either the lower or the upper loop jacks. If you just want use one effect loop we recommend to use the lower loop as this leaves the SEND 1 and RETURN 1 jacks unoccupied and ready for PROFILING.

pg271

If Loop Stereo is used in one of the mono effect modules A, B, C, or D, the left and right return signals will be mixed together. The "Mix: Pre/Post” option is available in both Loop Mono and Loop Stereo modes and determines whether the Mix control affects the signal on the SEND (“Pre”) or the RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT (“Post”). Since this makes no difference in most situations, we recommend leaving the button at the "Post” position, to guarantee the lowest noise floor. However, you can use the “Pre” position to create a spillover effect for your external gear while you switch Rigs on the PROFILER: Load the Rig in which the external effect should be deactivated (but you still want spillover when it's loaded) > Activate Loop Mono or Loop Stereo > set "Mix:” to "Pre” > turn the Mix control to zero > store this Rig. Now whenever you switch to this Rig, no signal will be sent to your external effect devices, but their delay or reverb tail will still be received. Please ensure that the “Mix” control of the Effects Loop is set to 100%, to avoid coloring the external signal with the blended dry signal. However, if you prefer to derive the dry signal straight from the PROFILER, then use the “Mix” control to balance the external signal and the internal dry signal. To do so, you must check that the dry signal is not passing through the external device. This is usually done by setting the mix control of the external device to maximum or by using a "kill dry” function to mute the dry signal in a global fashion. The Loop Distortion is made for connecting distortion pedals to the PROFILER and is only in mono. The feature unique to this loop, is that any volume boost of a preceding effect will be applied to the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND jack, thus driving the external distortion pedal. This is what you would expect, anyway. The regular Loop Mono and Loop Stereo do this differently: here, the volume boost of a preceding effect will be applied after the return of the loop. The send level will be unaffected, so the connected effect will not be overdriven. The regular Loop Mono and Loop Stereo are suitable for all non-distorting effects. ✓ If you want to keep your external effect inserted for all Rigs, just lock the effects loop by pressing LOCK.

pg272

External gear can be looped in at instrument as well as line level. The possibilities to loop in external gear: following two graphics illustrate the various Looping in a stomp box or pedal ✓ For PROFILER Stage use SEND 2 and RETURN 3 ( lo wer l oop) or SEND 1 and RETURN 1 ( u pper l oop).

pg273

For PROFILER Stage use SEND 2 and RETURN 3 +4 ( l ower utorial video explaining these effect loops can be found at: l oop) or SEND 1 and RETURN 1 http://www.kemperamps.com /video +2 ( u pper l oop).

• Thanks

I realize. I have not read the manual enough

I keep the manual on my phone. I can't contribute much to the forum but if I have some free time I'll look up questions that are asked, it helps me learn something. And if the planets are aligned perfectly I might accidentally copy and paste something that could possibly be helpful to someone else 😅